Wednesday, April 21, 2010

APRIL 21, 2010 POEM A DAY CHALLENGE (ACCORDING TO)

For today's prompt, take the phrase "According to (blank)," replace the blank with a word or phrase, make the new phrase the title of your poem, and then, write the poem. Example titles might be: "According to Bob," "According to these instructions," "According to the government," "According to the sun," etc.

April 21, 2010


According To:

According to the Gremlins
Hanging off my earlobes
I cannot get it posted today

According to the Mother
It is proclaimed that I am always wrong
According to the doctors
Mom needs a feeding tube
According to mom’s appetite
At the nursing home she was not being fed
According to me (being wrong)
The nurses were just lazy
According to her weight gain
I must be doing something right

According to Medicaid
Mom should not have gifted her monies
According to the system
She should get it all back
According to economical times
The money is long since spent to survive
According to Medicaid
Mom is denied services, just sent home to die

According to the children
They complained that I was an absentee mother
According to the shrinks of County Child Services
The boys were never touched
According to my Québec weekend vacation
Years later, one child did confess
According to the years of bad behavior
Their uncle got 10 years

According to my dentist
Soon I’ll have no teeth
According to x boyfriends
I have bad wiring in my head
According to the shrinks
I am working with half my brain
According to my doctors
I need to lose lots a weight
According to my mirror
I am still 112lbs, but
According to my scale
It just pops and screams
According to the coroner
He could pronounce me dead

According to my Pop
I was his Pocahontas, a graceful, barefooted, free spirit
According to my old man
I must be part redneck, with bare and dirty feet
He does not see the Pocahontas in me

According to my Presa Canario (135lbs dog)
I take up too much of my own bed
According to my lover
I am insatiable in between the sheets

According to some of my actions
I’m sure to burn in Hell
According to some others
I’ve guaranteed a right hand seat next to God
According to my life
Maybe Purgatory will just do.

According to the self
It is ordained that I am always right.
According to my life’s story
It sounds like I’ve been in therapy for years
According to my sanity
Writing is all that saved me.

No comments:

Post a Comment